Wednesday, June 12, 2013

1/72 CF-104G Starfighter Monogram + hasegawa

Thank you to everyone who has visited my blog to this point. Recently I have seen a huge increase in page views (not including my own) so I just wanted to say thank you and I hope I haven't disappointed you.

I also want to say sorry for the inactivity over the past few days. I have more than enough models to tell you about, but I still have school twice a week and work two to four times a week.

I have also been working really hard on the subject of my big post as I wanted to go all out on it and show just what I can do when the subject is big and the decals can get very small and stupid.

1/72 CF-104G Starfighter



post will be a little bit different than usual as I built two of the same aircraft (essentially) and because it is my absolute favorite aircraft, and not just because I am a space nerd and the name is Starfighter. No I like it because of how it proudly wears Canadian colours, the bullet-like shape and the capabilities of the aircraft.

 The "newer" aircraft (the one on the right in most pictures) was the one I built first  about a week ago and was made by Monogram, a company I think is now owned by Revell. It only had USAF decals so, like all of my other Canadian planes, I used decals from Leading Edge Models to decorate it.

I can't say that either of these models were tough to build, just some stubborn parts was all. Anyways, the Monogram one I painted overall the lighter IJN Grey spray and used Nato Green spray for the camo. This was my second attempt using spray cans for camo and I think it turned out great. I painted the bottom Royal Light Gray with the interiors of both aircraft being Neutral Grey with Olive Green seats and Flat Black panels. The missiles are White with Black rings, the same goes for the front of the engines. The back of the engines are Gun Metal. The nose is also Flat Black

 The hasegawa is overall Silver Leaf with Red wing fuel tanks and elevators. This one came with Canadian decals so I simply used those. No point wasting money on decals when they are already provided right?

I personally think the silver and red make the hasegawa kit look better than the Monogram one, which looks much more modern.

These aircraft played a vital role in the defense of Canada from the late 50's to the mid 80's as supersonic interceptor aircraft. They were purchased, along with the F-101 Voodoo, when the Diefenbaker government cancelled the Avro Canada Arrow due to costs and what he saw as an obsolete way to protect Canada.

But this plane wasn't all rainbows and unicorns. No, this plane was a dangerous aircraft due to its small control surfaces meaning the pilot could loose control easily and crash, earning it the nickname "Widow Maker" from crews as most pilots who crashed this plane died along with the plane. These planes were replaced by our current fleet of CFA-188 Hornets (commonly referred to as the CF-18 Hornet).

I still like the plane because it looks like something from a science fiction movie that would hold off alien star ships as civilians escape.

General characteristics
  • Crew: 1
  • Length: 54 ft 6 in (16.7 m)
  • Wingspan: 21 ft 9 in (6.63 m)
  • Height: 13 ft 5 in (4.08 m)
  • Empty weight: 14,000 lb (6,300 kg)
  • Max. takeoff weight: 29,038 lb (13,171 kg)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Orenda J79-OEL-7 afterburning turbojet
    • Dry thrust: 10,000 lbf (44 kN)
    • Thrust with afterburner: 15,800 lbf (66.7 kN)
     
Performance
  • Maximum speed: 1,146 mph (996 kn, 1,844 km/h)
  • Range: 1,630 mi (1,420 nmi, 2,630 km)
  • Service ceiling: 50,000 ft (12,000 m)





Armament
  • Guns: 1× 20 mm (0.79 in) M61A1 Vulcan cannon
  • Other: External bombs and missiles
(All info provided from Wikipedia and the brief histories from each model manufacture printed on the instructions)


No comments:

Post a Comment